Paths Links People

Paths Links People

Foot Prints

Thonigala Inscriptions are of the 2nd Century BC and carved on Rock. information courtesy;Internet

Thonigala Inscriptions are of the 2nd Century BC and carved on Rock. information courtesy;Internet
Tonigala. (a.) Parumaka Abaya puta parumaka Tisaha wapi acagirika Tisa pawatahi agata anagata catudisa sagasa dine. Dewana pi maharaja Gamini Abaye niyate acanagaraka ca [tawi] rikiya nagaraka ca. Parumaka Abaya puta parumaka Tisa niyata pite raj aha agata anagata catudisa sagasa

History; Path to future

History; Path to future
Reading Future through History, Nagala mountain and the Stupa of the Nagala Kanda Rajamaha Viharaya, Nikaweva, Polpithigama, Kurunegala District.

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Dear Miss Angunakola Pelessa ............


Hi Sweetie ......

Is that ok to call you 'sweetie'?

You don’t understand how easy it is for me to write a love note than writing a note to a friend or an official letter. I can but that takes hours sometimes. I generally erase, add and again erase and then again adds that is me when I write formal letters. The words and ideas don’t come so easily in to my mind. But what to do I really can’t postpone writing this to you.  

Hey! This is my first request for the year 2012. Don’t try to follow my way of English sweetie. What will happen to your way of English then? Tell me.

‘Why some kola very di’ ….. You asked I am the one who asks and writes such a way no??? Just forget aney sweetie how do I know that. What do you really mean by this ‘kola’? Is it kola – kola or kola paata?

Stop insulting me sweetie will you, please? Just kidding I know that you are not insulting me but expecting me to learn good English.

I was thinking and thinking and thinking day and night endlessly about my matter of learning proper English. 

I asked some questions my self. I thought of asking you the same. Let me know if you have any different answers than mine OK?

 This ‘Singlish’ way of speaking and writing ‘new’ you think, right?

May be this is new to you I know but don’t you know how your seeyala aachchila, aththala panaththala, kirikiththala spoke with Queen Elizabeth (ii) when she first visited our country back in 1954? Is this her first visit?

I really can’t remember what is written there in the ‘queen’s room of Polonnaruwa guest house. My goodness she has a room there even. I don’t have to tell you where this Polonnaruwa guest house is located right? ‘Parakkrama samuddraya’ this is just a little clue for you. find out.  

I am sure that our people may have spoke to her no? in what language? Sinhala? No you think Then?

I am sure that they did not speak this ‘English English’ even before her visit. I think that most of our people back then used to speak this ‘Singlish’ at the beginning. English is not our mother tongue No? 

Let us go back to our history for a moment. Have you studied history at school? Sure no! (apeithihasaya) don’t tell me that you studied European history that is good and that is ok but before we study all these other histories darling it is good to learn our own history. No?

Before that lovely queen Elizabeth’s arrival those Portuguese buddies came here in 1505. 

Prutugeesi kaaraya ratawal allanna sooraya
Sathuru raja maaraya ……mulu lo hollanna weeraya (?)

Did some of our people forget their own language? Sinhala or Tamil? Our people started talking even with their own bothers and sisters embracing their accent. Don’t be surprised those things generally happen.

Matara they ‘pol oyanawa’ but we here ‘pol leli gahanawa’ (removing the coconut husk) but if you go and stay there for few months, years what will happen you think? Yes you are right? That is what happened to our people all these years. 

How do you pronounce ‘Butter’ when you go to America and after coming back from America? Let me know. Forget how the English say ‘Butter’.
Ok now we are in the Portuguese era OK.

What can you call that accent or that way of speaking and writing that our people used after their visit ‘Singportugueseish’ or what? Have you heard about this way of spoken language before honey? NO no?

How can you forget this entire thing darling I mean this soon? Then those hunters left the country thank God in which year you think? Who came in 1658?  

 The Dutch/ees …. (Important - Say cheese, & cheers all the time that is a good medication trust me. ok don’t trust me ask somebody whom you can trust).

 So …….. What do you think they came to teach our people ‘Dutchish’ no honey they came to take away every single drop we owned even ‘puwak’ etc. & etc. 
When did those stupid ones stepped in to this island? 1658 I said right and until when 1796. 
So you think that it is only the accents that our people embraced? The names, the architecture how can I forget those things. We salute for the things they signatured here before they moved out of this country. Memory fails ….. 

What happened finally ‘inguru deela miris gatta’ what else. No change …… inguru (ginger) and miris (chilies) what a flavor No? No not chilies I was thinking about ‘ginger’. Where is this singer ‘ginger’ do you know? she who owns so beautiful long and long hair?  
  
I can say this and that and they can say this and that but close your eyes and think a while darling. How do you really feel now am I lying?

Sir Winston Churchill, don’t tell me that you have met him before.  The Americans say that he is a good speaker I know nothing but if you have studied their history you may have heard all these before. He may have said many things but I read only a little just a little while ago….

This reminds me of some things. All these years since 1505 we fought against all our enemies of here and there of this world. We fought for ‘freedom, ‘honour’ etc.  It is we, the brownies and darkies who respect ‘whitish people’ all the time not just once or twice sweetie. That is no problem truly. I know many who respect the colours of others.
 My American and British friends I hope that don’t get upset with me for saying this. Now who is going to protect me from them after reading this not from my friends from others?

So this is what he said. No not to me to the people of his country (originally)

“I can not pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns”  

Sometimes we, who say things using particular words, only know what we really meant by those words that we used. Here he may have had some problems with Browns I don’t know. But I thought that he tried to say something else.(?)
Correct me if you think that I am wrong here.

So sweetie……. 

“Some speak American English and some ‘write’ British English who follows ‘Singlish”? TheDutch, the Indians? NO!!! It’s only me NO!!!

I am not that young like you kelle but I will try my best to learn American or British English if you think that it is useful but till them please read what I write in ‘Singlish’ OK.

Kolomba enawa nam kalin kianna …….

Devipihitai!


        






No comments:

Post a Comment