Paths Links People

Paths Links People

Foot Prints

Thonigala Inscriptions are of the 2nd Century BC and carved on Rock. information courtesy;Internet

Thonigala Inscriptions are of the 2nd Century BC and carved on Rock. information courtesy;Internet
Tonigala. (a.) Parumaka Abaya puta parumaka Tisaha wapi acagirika Tisa pawatahi agata anagata catudisa sagasa dine. Dewana pi maharaja Gamini Abaye niyate acanagaraka ca [tawi] rikiya nagaraka ca. Parumaka Abaya puta parumaka Tisa niyata pite raj aha agata anagata catudisa sagasa

History; Path to future

History; Path to future
Reading Future through History, Nagala mountain and the Stupa of the Nagala Kanda Rajamaha Viharaya, Nikaweva, Polpithigama, Kurunegala District.

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Humpty, Dumpty, booty chuty, - the names, naming and nicknames


[ I like to dedicate this bit of writing though this my note can not be tallied with the enormous talent he hold with regard to naming + meaning to the big name, the legond that lived in the people hearts and minds and still so live Because of the names he named or used ‘ Mr ARISEN AHUBUDU’]



Apart from the registered name or the names given by the parampara and by the parents or who ever it is so fascinating to know or hear the names or the naming that people use to cuddle kids or show ones too much affection, love, friendliness, people.

Naming is a very fascinating, interesting, very dutiful task I do not think that every one is eligible or capable in doing so meaningfully

I am very much interested in such topics, such as naming or nicknames.

Chuty, hurubuhuti , booty, boody or buddy or ready, steady, copy, photocopy, race, erase, wise, devise, jack or Jane, Jenney or sunny  what ever way that people use to address, call people, cuddle kids such things have some significances or specialties too.

My teacher's husbands's name is Mr. Liyanage he is from Anuradhapura and is a well educated person, fluent in English.
My teacher used to called him Liya once I questioned her about this ( i was at 5th grade i guess at that time) she gave me several answers with many explanations that is because she is a teacher she knows how to give answer depending on the person who comes to inquire her or question her. She does not like when her students come and play with her without really studying. At that very moment of our conversation there was one person who was listening to it very closely and clearly ( No that is not OLD time hacking, one of the ways) or gossiping or peeping in to privately maintain lives of people or in to their bed rooms . the person who was listening to our conversation was their maid enormously trusted, faithfulness up to maximum, gave them the maximum protection , looked after both of them very well. She is no more with them. Generally in the past women knew no hacking packing compared to now the women thankfully or owefully or doubtfully both women and men are so good at doing so for some actually such actions and practices are related to their job gives them some assurance of the things they say or share. I do not mind in a way but I am not saying that we must issue license to do so for all.


So let me come back to the person  who was listening to our conversation she told me look child that is ‘none of your business’ don’t you have other things to go and learn’, read a book, play with others, water the garden, clean the garden grate some coconut? Those days I thought that she was so jealous of me because she never allowed anyone to talk to her mistress when she is at home because she thought that it is her moments to spend with her. She hate when others try to steal her minutes to hours of discussions though they generally talk of ‘ how to clean the garden, what to cook for dinner, how to meet co teachers, what is for avurudu, they talk of such things.
 She was the most loyal and close member ( I like to use this word) of this family- Liyanage. She is Podi menika no one can take things out of their living premises or bring things in to the premises of their world without showing them to her or without asking her, getting permission from her.
‘Don’t touch those books’ ‘what are you doing in this room’?  She inspects everything from morning to night (they have a room for writing ad reading in the front elevation areas of the house, they had no computers laps tops or desks tops)  now she is no more I told but they often talk of her, her loyalties to their family, the support she provided. She was respected maximum way after her final going away from their place of living.

So this inspection of names actually nicknames ‘I guess will take my thoughts towards a different direction. I thought I was little lazy past few months I spent I rarely wrote things or nothing came in to my mind not that I was trying to get retirement this early ( is there a huge list of applicants at the queue of department of pensions ? how many get retire annually is pension a tension I like to know. yes that is a bit of a tension no one should think of  retiring but should return all the uniforms back to the department, the official vehicles used, the houses given to use, the all relevant facilities mobile to land equipments, tools that were given to you to serve the society you live. that you have to do but aftermath you can no doubt WORK, WORK, AND WORK may be to payback or give something not really in return or turn but with a pure mind of providing a service.

 I did not do any inspections over the things that generally happens in a society, purposely or intensely or so researchfully or surveyfully but it is no secret that what such things brings in to people’s lives, for the benefit of society, your and  their kids, all kids universal kids.

Researching or inspecting will bring enormously valuable not only knowledge but also good insights to ones mind. 

so Danny is my nenda's ( father's sister) husbands nickname He is Daniel but everyone call him Danny even we often call him Danny you know to tease him a little. No opposition shown this far.

So this Liya, Danny , Siri ( Siriwardena) , Daya, (Dayaratne) Tenny, Tutu, Cat ( Cathy) Willy ( William)  kind of names are different to some other names that people use to show their affection or love towards their near and dear ones.

I do not think that there are any bitter names attached with naming  – people but so much of attractive names some use they are not only attractive it seem to me naming can be used in a useful way to give a message to the society, to discuss different facets of societies and its people. 

Betty, bitter, twitter, butter, better good names , right any ugly names you found within such naming?

At the Observer book launch I read that Diana is the shorten name/nickname of Dayani Kumari Abeysinghe (this name was given by a well known scholar professor Sunanda Mahendra)

Taking care of something or someone is not a joke it is a huge responsibility though some titled -  jobs gets the minimum wages ( some get paid for such jobs some do it not as a service – get paid but as a human responsibility attached so much with other good human qualities such as ‘affection’ ‘love’ loyalty etc.   

Baba, Nona, Chuti, Poddi , Hiru, Ru ( Ruwanthi), Cha ( Chandani)  think of the names that you have heard before or that you guys generally use to address your near and near ones. What things come in to your mind?

 I know that this is not a very fascinating subject to discuss or one can not learn any new things from such things. Am I wrong here?

‘Pana puthara kuhumbu peniya’ is a good nick name though it is so long and bit difficult to pronounce for a kid ( I have no trouble to pronounce)

Nicknames are different to other names that we people use in public or the names that the public use to discuss or explains things in public.

There are very much privacy attached to some names – nicknames, no strangeness in there at all.

Some big names have nicknames ‘Guli’ is one of them. Mr. Gunadasa Liyanage.  Sene or senevi malinsene , Kasuri, Shakuwi are few of them.

Ammi (mother) we used this word sometimes to show our love towards her especially during our teen eras. Do not know whether i am totally correct one of my friends once told me; in Tamil language Ammi is the Athgala ( the grinder - stone this we locally use to grind chilly, polsambol, all the spices long before the grinders - electric ones come and boarded at the rooms close to the department of kitchen.

some use washing machines for some :) even the girlies looks like so educated use such words to describe or to introduce people of their same groups( women).

Some gentlemen use different, different names for women even the women use different, different names for their men and other men etc.

I am not going to talk about any shorten names like some uses just one or two letters to address their ones or ones of others. 

Funny thing is for their ones they have good :) or lovely names but for ones of other ones some uses little nasty or not please to hear words.
  
I guess it is no good to use F words in public I do not know how fare or fair this my idea though. This is my personal view do not take it that serious. I can’t help when people listen to the walls of other people when they have their private conversations with inevitable matters related to relations or nadeyo that is the badness or madness of the new techno that does not mean that they talk of things in public though the public are so fond of listening to them. Is that what you called gossiping? I should ask this from the www.gossiplanka.com  am I right?

Some use 'eki meki' 'eka meka' for the ones outside to their near and dear or close friends categories. 

i am not sure about the English words for such ways of addressing people. Is it bugger  (is this a bigger word  :)) some use this chap and that chap ( this is not the shorten way to address the champs or the champions right my teacher ?

I am not purposely listen to people's chit chats but sometimes you hear how some address people when other people’s discussion go or moving passing my ears such things come and stop near my inner places , inevitable no that is? 

I hate the word kaaraya 

maalu kaaraya, ( the Fisherman/Fish seller )  Liyum kaaraya ( the postman)  

( pardon me i know that i should consult a good language scholars to get very accurate explanations on some of the words i use here scholars like  J.B Sir ( Professor J .B Dissanayake) or Professor Kusuma Karunaratne or else i should have visited 'APE SINHALA PANTHIYA ' (close by)  Upul Shantha Sannasgala

there are many scholars even at the Open University of SL i will be meeting them only after two days ( Monday) because i am at an edge of a week end ( Today is Saturday, April 27, 2013)

Madhu is the nick name of Madhurangani joined us recently (OUSL) and she is from Jaffna ( department of secondary and tertiary education)

Do not name any one as ‘sad’ or ‘mad’ that is very idiotic way to name a person I mean this is a word full of world we have enough of words or names that can be used to name or address or call people. agree no?

I am sure that we have no issues in finding a accurate or suitable word to name a person so when you mutter a word thousand times it become reality that is the powerfulness of word. Any oppositions? Use happybaba or puppybaba I do not mind. not sad or mad pls.

Any order you find in this my note of nicknames ? NO actually I did not try to explain it A – Z there are many letters missing in between I know.


Sad, Sadness or mad, madness are not good nickname/S what sadness or madness you guys expect using such names for the ones u know no good for any person I want you my friends to change the name immediately or stop using such names as nick names.
I strongly believe in word POWER when you (plural) use a word I like to weigh it measure it the way I can.

And thank you so much for all the humpty dumpty, doogle, boogle, naming and names used so far for your loved my loved, their loved, our loved, all loved, girlies, boyies, men women

Happy and meaningful naming guys and gals !

















No comments:

Post a Comment