Paths Links People

Paths Links People

Foot Prints

Thonigala Inscriptions are of the 2nd Century BC and carved on Rock. information courtesy;Internet

Thonigala Inscriptions are of the 2nd Century BC and carved on Rock. information courtesy;Internet
Tonigala. (a.) Parumaka Abaya puta parumaka Tisaha wapi acagirika Tisa pawatahi agata anagata catudisa sagasa dine. Dewana pi maharaja Gamini Abaye niyate acanagaraka ca [tawi] rikiya nagaraka ca. Parumaka Abaya puta parumaka Tisa niyata pite raj aha agata anagata catudisa sagasa

History; Path to future

History; Path to future
Reading Future through History, Nagala mountain and the Stupa of the Nagala Kanda Rajamaha Viharaya, Nikaweva, Polpithigama, Kurunegala District.

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Colombo 08



Colombo is not a small city I do not know whether it is smaller to Delhi or similar to Delhi or exactly like Dhaka or Constantinople (the old city) all what I know is Colombo is numbered by I do not know when but by the admin system of the country that is to identify the city easily and for easy administrative purposes

This province I do not like to compare with any other provinces or this city with that city or with all the cities because every Capital city is unique and has its own feature’s specific

I should not compare Johannesburg with London or any other city with LA or California

California is specific to many things Johannesburg is unique to something else that is how the uniqueness or specialties of something one can measure or weigh

To come to a certain stage of improvement patience is important for any person

A city can not be bubbled or shined just within a day or so perhaps it takes decades less or more a city to come to a certain stage of improvement

Colombo 08 is not a strange city for me. In each and every visit that I made to Colombo from Kandy I had to come passing this city ‘ Colombo 08’that was of course before the Paanadura –Kandy bus service was initiated, and after that I used that route  

Anyways, Colombo 08 is not a very stunning city for me but I can say that it is like a central point that takes travelers towards many directions
103 Kotuwa – Narahenpita , 168 Kotahena – Nugegoda , 154 Kiribathgoda Kelaniya , 135 Kohuwala - Kelaniya , 176 Hettiyawatte – Nugegoda, 174 Pelawatte - Battaramulla, 177 Kaduwela - Kollupitiya (this passes Colombo 08 through Senanayake Junction this 177 does not touch the central area of the town of Colombo 08
175 Kohilawatte - Kollupitiya, 152 nawarohala all these busses goes through this central point and also 190 Meegoda any many busses stops a little at the main bus stop of Colombo 08 and proceed their journeys towards their own cities urban or semi urban

The main bus stand of this city is situated facing and neighbouring the Bo tree and the traveler’s tunnel, YMBA Building (Young Men’s Buddhist Association) one of the oldest buildings of the city

I like ‘Ananda Bhawan’ small restaurant, a good place to have a cup of plain tea with a dose or any other south Indian Cuisine, small eateries    
LIDO the movie theatre hall and the Namel Manel Punchi theatre beautify the city without any doubts

Namel and Manel came and settled in Colombo 08 a lot after LIDO and other fashion lovers came and settled in the city though the couple settled in the field of their interests a lot before any of those settlers were even born

Colombo 08 became every day topic during last two few days that is because of the death of the OIC of the Police station of the area other than that Colombo 08 has its own everyday topics to discuss

Upawansa is very old but has changed a lot (Upawansa is a restaurant)
I remember we (Mrs. Sonali Gunasekara and our team) having our meals when ever we go passing Colombo 08 after our social audits, field visits - late nights   

People moves here and there no strange, like in other cities
Almost every man or a woman I meet is strange or have not met before type and it is very rare that I meet known ones in this city who come and ask “hello how are you” from me?    

This city is like other cities no difference everything is very robotic, I see parades of vehicles every day all like machines some moves faster some with some signs

No one stops and shares a smile, what an achievement I often think
I should not be surprised each and every man or woman has their own aims and objectives of life why should strangers come and ask me how are you?  
Everyone has their own life objectives nothing strange in that some becomes topics or objects or some compare me with toilets I am not surprised

‘Toilet is here’ you are right madame  

I thought I must be very careful I must not enter anyone’s sacred premises unless they want a toilet to pee or any other purposes other than that for what purpose one can use a toilet, not for dancing obviously

Oh! My topic of the day ‘Colombo 08’ I must only talk about this city not about other things at this moment   

Nugegoda is different to Colombo 08 the city plan and the design the content all those are different to Nugegoda

There is no Traveler’s tunnel in Nugegoda, in the heart of the city but Colombo 08 has one

I do not know whether the city planners are planning to initiate one in the middle of the city other than the sky bridge (is this the right word)

Ah! the railway station there is no station in Colombo 08 but in Nugegoda
Am I trying to compare Nugegoda with Colombo 08, how foolish I am?

There is only one Cinema hall in Nugegoda but in Colombo 08 there are two
‘No madame I want no part’ or that another part, thanks though for the offering and your kindness    

I do not much like Urban or semi urban areas I can’t breathe within a heavy traffic or when I am among a lot of people specially

And I am very uncomfortable among strangers or among people that show and have any many faces

Senanayake junction is a famous junction exactly like the names such as
F R senanayake, D S Senanayake

Senanayake weraliyadda is famous for something totally different to the tall names F R & D S were famous and valued for
When ever I have to take 177 buses from Colombo 08 I come to this 
junction, Senanayake junction

I remember mapping the health centres that were situated along the Obeysekara pura (gothami paara) to main city and along surrounding areas that was in 1998 I guess am I right Dr. Steve Russell?  

Dr. Sikkanda’s old dispensary is still there I do not know how old is this dispensary?

Other than all the old and new buildings and commercial entities there are huge cutouts to be seen, television drama and TV advertisements in the middle of the city

The road that leads towards Maradana , Panchikawatte and then towards kotuwa I know is full of book publishers

This city will continue its journey who ever comes and goes or passes or stays 

This note is to be continue    
   
  


  

No comments:

Post a Comment