Paths Links People

Paths Links People

Foot Prints

Thonigala Inscriptions are of the 2nd Century BC and carved on Rock. information courtesy;Internet

Thonigala Inscriptions are of the 2nd Century BC and carved on Rock. information courtesy;Internet
Tonigala. (a.) Parumaka Abaya puta parumaka Tisaha wapi acagirika Tisa pawatahi agata anagata catudisa sagasa dine. Dewana pi maharaja Gamini Abaye niyate acanagaraka ca [tawi] rikiya nagaraka ca. Parumaka Abaya puta parumaka Tisa niyata pite raj aha agata anagata catudisa sagasa

History; Path to future

History; Path to future
Reading Future through History, Nagala mountain and the Stupa of the Nagala Kanda Rajamaha Viharaya, Nikaweva, Polpithigama, Kurunegala District.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Dear COLOMBO .......


 How come you look so fresh and new everyday? Is that a true sign of ‘development’ or is it something else?  How old are you now? Must be so old but you look not more than 18, very energetic, very dynamic, handsome, romantic, and   I don’t think that I know enough of words to explain your ‘look’ my friend. I remember the day that I saw you for the first time that was long, long years back and I came to see you with my father.

Aiyoo!!!  What has happened to those big ‘kaalathuwaku’ that were there facing the lovely ‘sea’ in Galle face green area? See handsome Colombo it is not easy to remember things now I m not that young like you tell me if you see them there.  

I don’t think that they have ‘gone with the wind’ …..
Except for few things I can see that you have become so vulnerable to many things I mean you have changed for the better, expect and accept good things. Excellent. 

Ask Mastro Amaradewa if you don’t believe me in what I say now. We, the people have become very old not you dear Colombo. 

‘kolomthota netha mahalu wee ….
 awanhala netha perani wee ….
edaa handa mai adath yawwanaye ….

When did you really change your name? I remember that you were so fond of your name ‘Kolomthota’ those days … Aha! I can see that you have become little ‘modern’ … That is fine.  Kolomthota to Kolamba not bad and I know that all these ‘Singlish kollo kello enjoy calling you ‘COLOMBO’ …. I like to know how those ‘Columbians pronounce your name Colombo.  

See the way things change? Amazing right?

How do you really bear this ‘busyness’ of your friends Colombo? Now that you have become so young, energetic I warn you my friend you better be very careful of all those naughty ones who tries to get your attention all the time. I mean the naughty ones from ‘California’, New Delhi, Male, London,  ………. They may try to ruin what you own now.  That is the way that sometimes the naughty ones behave. But I request you; please try to be cool all the time Ok.

I know that it is so difficult to choose what is good and bad for us but I am sure that you really can say NO! To the drug dealers, and you are smart enough to say STOP! For the ones that who try and steal what you own and then try to disappear. And try protecting the things that you own for more than thousands and thousands of years, the things that you have collated for these long years. I know nothing about how ‘Katunayake’ stops all of them before reaching you. Now that there is this CCTV they join you earlier than MTV right? 

 I am so happy the way things have change in 60 Watte area, Arunodaya Mawatha,  Eksesath Watte. What do you think of the situation there now? Yes I remember you once telling my cousin about all those 500 shanty s that are under your authority. I have no idea how you handle all these so wonderfully.  Congratulations!  

‘Den eyalata hondai ahasa usata gewal hadalane’  I hear people say.  

 Dear Colombo …..

I know that things have changed women of our land do not wear kabakuruththas any more and most of them have become tight skirts fans ….. But how can you forget the ones who sew those ‘branded clothing ‘for them sleeplessly not forgetting their lovers at gama (village) even if they feel so tired most of the time, not forgetting to send a little sms to him/her. Still …. They look so wonderful and happy don’t you think so?

Rae weda muraya awasan wana kanisamata numba ruwa penei parawunu kusumak lesata …
Thun this peye dengili nidi waranne ….
Mal wiya noweda me  diya kara harinne
Meshimada hithada maha hiyen hadanne ….

They bring us foreign currency right? So be happy.
Things change so faster than we think 

That is why we don’t see any tram cars here ….. Shantha basthiyan ela is it still surviving? What is the other ela ‘Hamilton ela’ right?

Paaru paalamen kolambata gel peeliya sepath unaa …..
 gaspahata lanwenakota api honadtama hawasuna …. 

That was then ….. 

I know, I know it won’t take that much time to come to Gaspaha or go to Grand pass from anywhere of this land …. We have high ways and super ways. And ahas paalam too.  I know that our Engineers are so genius and they just need 45 days to complete an ahas paalama.  I remember that who gave them the guidance, Minister Fernadopulle.

Sekku weediye kamba deka umba mata mathak unaa
Kaiman dorakada hitapan mama enathuru selesthina ….

How is Selesthina? Is she still waiting at the Kaiman dorakada?

Kaba kuruthhawa endan muthu depotak gele damaa
Shantha basthiyan ele paaru padimu Selesthinaa ….

Dear Colombo … Where are these ‘Kolamba Kawi maduwa’  kollo kello tika ? I feel like inviting them and have a small ‘peduru party ya’ with them ….

Mahamankada kawi maduwak heta hawasata pewethwena
Nam daraapu kawi kaarayo ehi ena bawa ka tha unaa

The Fort is full of FORD, Corolla I can see that. Cars and ‘Cargills’ and ‘keels’ they all have become a part of you. Are you angry with them for dominating your neighborhood? I am sure that you hear them and see them ‘laughs’ at the end of each day looking at the things they have earned whole day. 

Tram car eke gihin kawi ahamuda Selesthina …. 
Did she agree to come? 

How are you going to identify this Selesthina now that they have different names, different looks? ….  Siriyawathi, Seelawathi, Sunethra and I am sure that she will be with ‘Samanmalee ‘.

Dear Colombo I know that I told you ‘I love to live and die in Kandy’ but how can I tell you how much I like you and how can I leave you here. Shall we have some inguru thea with some wade together if you have time free? Let me know.

So Colombo …. I think I better wind up this ….. Hope you‘ll read this with a smile when you have some time free and I hope that you will not get angry with me for writing all these rubbish …. ‘Anger’ … That is the way that some youngsters act and react … be COOL!  Ok. you don't know how much i enjoy this 'Sisilasanwarusaawa' ....

P.T.O
And please, please you know sometimes my uncles and their children from Kelediwul wewa love to come to see you …they have the habit of chewing beetle please don’t say anything if they spit some where or everywhere or somewhere near ‘Galle Face Hotel’ they really like to visit Galle face green next time when they come.  They know that it is bad but what to do all those game aya really can’t stop having their ‘bulath vita’ no! Please forgive ok.

You don’t know how many times I have told them to stop that habit and I have warn them saying  this thousand times I guess ‘this is not your game kopee kade this is Colombo’ No they are impossible!

TC



 






No comments:

Post a Comment